Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Surgery and last overnight

Today was Addison's mole removal surgery. As my fam will remember she was born with a decent sized mole/birth mark on her right ankle. Our pediatrician has never paid much attention to it and didn't think it was cause for concern. I however, have fretted since day one. I have had many moles removed and with Uncle Phillip having had melanoma I just worried about that mole. Anyway, this summer part of it came off due to Addison picking at it. Finally, the pediatrician agreed that we should take a second look and referred us to a dermatologist. Of course the derm suggested a removal. However, he referred us to a plastic surgeon so finally after four doctor visits and $450.00 dollars later the mole is gone.

Addison did not want the mole removed. She complained for days before the surgery about the surgery. Oh well, we thought they will give her happy juice and she will be just fine. Well happy juice must be like alcohol...it affects all of us differently. Addison was no happy kid! It took her a little longer to come out of the anesthesia fog. She cried, she laughed, she got mad, she cried some more, she fell asleep eating a pop tart. "It's my worst day ever" she repeated over and over. Sad and funny. She cried because she couldn't sit up straight, she cried because she couldn't hold her cup, she cried because her foot is all bandaged up to restrict movement. Finally, about 2:00 the Addison I know returned. She bounced, danced, kicked, jumped, ran you know all those things that the dr. said NOT to do. She is to rest her ankle (they don't want the stitches to open) for 48 hours. Yeah right? How many 4 yr-olds follow the dr.'s advice. The piece she did hear was that it would be a good idea to keep her home until Thursday. Now that she wants to follow...I told her only if mama gets to sleep a little. So as you can read she doing well and in her words "I am healing".

Tonight (cross my fingers) is my last scheduled over night shift at the shelter. I have hired someone and she is orientating this week. It is someone I have known for years so hopefully she will be a great addition to the YSCC team. I am still going to hire a few "on call" people and have great candidates if they are willing to be on call instead of part-time. I am able to get a lot done on overnights no phone calls, the kids are in bed. However, it leaves more work for the day I return. Return all the day phone calls, meet with the kids, attend meetings etc. I am ready for my old routine back!

No comments:

Post a Comment